A blog about one woman's journey to Merida

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Where Do I Go From Here?

Now that the closing on my Merida nest seems eminent, I'm starting to give lots of thought to what comes next.
I kind of like the idea of leaving things the way they are.  The house seems to have worked well for the previous owners and who am I to second guess someone who has lived longer in Merida than I could ever hope to?  For now things can stay the way they are.

I've made a list of what changes I'd like to make. Fortunately, most of them are constructive, not destructive.  No walls need to be torn down and there's no need to reinvent the wheel.

I'd like to: 
  • Paint and polish the facade



Light grey with white accents

  • Change out the glass in the front door to white frosted, UV glass
  • Paint the hallway, kitchen, bath and second bedroom

Will go more neutral with colors
  • Replace the hot water heater
  • Have the tinaco checked and replaced if needed
  • Install ceiling fans
  • Replace the non-working mini split in the bedroom
  • Landscape the courtyard
Second bath out back

  • Installed a raised pond with seating in the courtyard

Half view of the patio where the pond and seating will go

  • Build seating and planters along one wall in the courtyard that incorporates hiding the propane tank
  • Repair the small cracks on roof and reseal it, even though it looks pretty good
  • Purchase appliances...need stove top, fridge, etc.
  • Build a counter with outdoor grill under the eave out back
  • Put in small skylights in hallway 

Then there are all the household things I'll need. Do I bring some of my own things from NOB on my next trip down? I'm not sure what is difficult to find in Merida and what I should schlep down?  How much is all of this going to cost? 

I know I'm forgetting things and that items will be added and deleted from my list.  For now it's a good start.  Just thrilled to finally have a new set of challanges waiting for me!

6 comments:

  1. There are lots of lists on line that tell you the cost of things in Yucatan. That list probably gets out-of-date pretty fast. But I'm jealous! It will be another year before I can start bringing things down. You're lucky you won't be moving walls... and remember, no skylights over the beds if you want to sleep in. I can't believe how many people put skylights right over where they sleep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm have a difficult time finding current lists. I'll keep searching.

      Don't be jealous. You two will be poolside, sipping prickly pear scented cocktails ... while I'll be downing a Montejo with my feet in a pond!

      Delete
  2. I muled down many things in my suitcases... a Puerto Rican caldero which makes the perfect arroz con pollo, special surge protectors for appliances, coffee bean grinder, coffee, gluten free products, towel bars and paper holders, pots and pans a few at a time, melamine dishes from Target... I found the ones in Merida to be poor quality, also bath and body hand soaps, yankee candles, large clothes pegs (from Walmart) to hang clothes on the line, as the ones in Merida where kind of funky, all of my fixtures for the bathrooms. Now not all of it came at the same time but I bring a suitcase or two extra each time. In December I brought down alot of 100% cotton Percale sheets and towels... very expensive and hard to find. Not all of the above was new, but some was. I keep a suitcase in my bedroom and as I see or think of something, I throw it in the case. I have one almost filled as I write this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was hoping I'd hear from you. You've included many things I hadnt thought of. Sheets and towels are a great suggestion. Hadn't thought about surge protectors. Clothespins are another great idea...maybe a retractable clothes line too. The idea of keeping an empty suitcase around and gradually filling it up makes so much sense.

    I know that the one thing I'll be bringing is a good quality solar powered wall sconce of outside. I haven't been able to find one in Merida.

    Now you've got me thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Pat. You will find towels, sheets, etc. on sale in the US that will be much cheaper and usually better quality than what you will find in Merida, even in the upscale mall stores. My favorite places to find great quality- Tuesday Morning, Marshall's, TJ Maxx. Go frequently and find the things you might need on sale & save even more. I even brought a set of stainless tableware in my luggage. Dish towels, pot holders, small kitchen gadgets. Never once questioned at customs.

    We try to use the neighborhood markets, hardware and paint stores, etc. as much as possible, but at times Costco or Sam's is necessary.

    Have fun decorating your new 'nest.'

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't thank you enough for your input. I'm not a fan of shopping in general but will do as I'm told. I'd forgotten what a great source Tuesday Morning is and love Home Goods.

    Here at home our local, TINY hardware store always has what I need so I'm glad to know that Merida has similar places that will meet my needs.

    Knowing that I probably won't be hassled at customs is a relief...thank you.

    I find myself looking around the house at the things that I would really love to take along and think that, in the end I will have to ship a small pallet of must haves with me. There's the teak coffee table that I could never afford now and several piece of artwork and mirrors that would make my "nest" feel like home.

    And I've finally settled on a name for the house... Nido del águila

    ReplyDelete