A blog about one woman's journey to Merida

Sunday, July 5, 2015

Huevos en Mexico

It's been almost a year since I posted and my two dogs and I are finally in Merida, Yucatan.

These past two months have been a learning experience, to say the least and learning how to shop is not as simple as I'd thought it would be.

I have learned that if you don't know which is the best bread to buy, watch what the local woman are putting on their trays at the bakery. Shampoo? Whichever brand there is the least of on the shelf, must be the best (it is). Meat is another story. That's hit or miss but always flavorful. Fabric softener...not so easy.

And then there are eggs. Could not for the life of me find eggs. I looked and looked and finally asked, "donde es los huevos"?  Well I can tell you where they're not. In the refrigerated section and that's because Mexico doesn't muck up what nature intended.


When chickens lay eggs there is a natural cover that encases the egg. A waxy cuticle called a bloom. This is what protects those little chickadees from bateria while they incubate.

Since eggs have approximate 7,500 pores on the shell,  there's a good chance some major cooties could invade the  porous surface, but here in Mexico, they leave well enough alone. That bloom does the job.

Mexico City 1900
Photo by Alfred Iles 

In the United States,  we have to screw around with everything it seems.  Chickens are confined and once the eggs are laid, they are scrubbed, rinsed with detergent and sprayed with a chlorine wash...and then bathed in mineral oil.

Mexico along with most other nations has known for a long time that you don't fool with Mother Nature.


Next time you're traveling through Mexico and are wondering why your breakfast tastes so damn good you'll understand why sometimes the simplest meal is the best meal.

You'll find the eggs right where they should be.



12 comments:

  1. Excellent! So many folks from North of the border are worried about dying of salmonella from "those eggs that have been out in the heat all day" :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting such a positive comment from you is wonderful. You have been a great source of information for me planning for this move, Bill.

      I'm learning so much just watching how people shop. I stood pondering which refried beans to buy the other day then three people pulled the same brand off the shelf... Bingo!

      Living here makes you rethink so many things and makes me realize how skewed my way of thinking has been.

      Delete
  2. I like getting fresh eggs from the farmer's markets back home, but then I realize the chickens live in a fancier zip code than I do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Melissa... great post. I agree with "Bill's" indirect compliment. You are observant and not all stressed out by the "differences" you see in Mexico. I know you are more worried about your dogs adjustment than your own. They will be fine once they realize that this is "home"... and you are doing great already. Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanna. I feel much the way I did when I started out on my own as a young woman. I may not be as fearless as I was back then but I start each day like a dried up sponge...thrilled at the idea of feeling full of life again.

      Delete
  4. Welcome back to the blog !!! very happy about your move and looking forward to many more postings !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Claude...it's nice to know someone was waiting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just came across your blog today 7/9/15. Glad you started posting again. don't you love Merida. I would love to move there.
    Will be checking to see any new blogs. Chuck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chuck, moving to Merida has been a remarkable journey for me...granted, I've only put one toe in the pool. Glad you enjoyed the post. Hope I post many more times!

      Delete
  7. Great Post! This is the first thing I noticed in Mexico as I eat eggs regularly. At first I had to question this but the fact is I never got sick and found my eggs tasted so good. When I boiled them I did find that skin thicker and harder to peel but apparently that is also a sign of freshness!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The eggs do seem to taste so much better here, don't they? I've been here fulltime for over three years and a day doesn't go by when I don't learn something new. I have a little tienda on the corner and love the fact that I can buy just 3 eggs. Viva Mexico!

    ReplyDelete