A blog about one woman's journey to Merida

Monday, September 3, 2012

Last Minute Musings

Having spent time reading others' blogs about Merida so many questions come up.

It seems as though most expats in Merida come in pairs...and I don't.

I'm not a fearful person.  I grew up in New York City and fear was not an option.  I have no problem living alone but then I've never lived alone in Merida.  While house hunting next week, what safety features should I be looking for in a property?  Any neighborhoods that should be avoided?  I want to become part of the community, taking it all in while contributing at the same time.

My experience as a Realtor tells me that I should rent first (which I probably will) but I also know that the market changes constantly...no matter the city or country and I'd hate to miss out on a great opportunity.  I'll have to shelve the impulsive side of me and look at everything with an objective eye.

The blogs I've been reading occasionally mention some problem that is totally foreign to me as a homeowner.  There's so much to learn and I'll have to pay close attention. 

Then there's the question of how long it will take me to learn enough of Merida to actually work as a Realtor.  I'm hoping that within a year I'll be up and running.  For now I'll rely on others' experiences and any advice that comes my way.

4 comments:

  1. There's a lot online, like on Yolosto, or Yucatan Living, to guide you. Mainly, avoid a "bus street," unless the lot is very deep and you can be situated away from the traffic. By deep I mean at least 45 meters.

    That's another thing: Getting used to meters instead of feet. Most properties are about 9 meters wide. Anything wider, and you're getting something special. Narrower, and you're probably going to have rooms stacked on rooms, which can be difficult. You'll want a central courtyard in the house, if there isn't one already. It will bring light and air flow into the space.

    A newer trend is finding a lot in a good location and building completely new. Aging colonials in the tropics are too much trouble for some people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your imput...all good suggestions. I'm relying on you and Imagine Merida to help me on my journey!

      Delete
  2. I have lots of single friends who came to Merida alone and have full lives. Many of them are members of the IWC (International Women's Club) but not all of them. As for a bus street, it depends upon what you are used to. One of my New Yorker friends laughed when asked about the noise, her comment was "it gets quiet at night, what's your problem?". We have bus noise during the day, but not at night, very little noise on Sunday. It all becomes background. However, I don't think that there is ever going to be lack of houses to choose from here.
    regards,
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theresa, I appreciate you taking time to address my concerns. You're right. There were plenty of homes to choose from and if you read my most recent post, you'll see where I'm heading. Thanks again! Melissa

      Delete