A blog about one woman's journey to Merida

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Searching for a Home in Merida

I've finally gotten my brother and sister-in-law on board with the idea of my moving to Merida.  They're planning to come along when I return to continue my search sometime in March.

While they're not making this purchase with me, they have many opinions about what I should buy.

Their list includes:
Curb appeal
Two bedrooms
Two baths
A renovated Colonial
Safe neighborhood

My list includes:
Outdoor space with possibilities
One bedroom
High ceilings
In Centro

All this with a total budget of $50,000. 

I know that seems like an impossible task and maybe it is, but I'm going to see if it's possible. 

I've been in touch with the couple that built a friend's Bed and Breakfast in Chuburna Puerto and has worked on other homes in Merida.  They've been very straight forward...pointing out difficulties I may encounter but also encouraging me to
look for a property that will work for me.  If I do find any possibilities in March, I'll have them take a look and slap me into reality.

I follow a wonderful blog "Imagine Merida" and the author's most recent post has given me a lot of food for thought.  He talks about his current renovation which has now become almost a complete rebuild...the homes he and his partner saw that they passed on...the modernization of colonial homes in Merida.

As a Realtor, I've got one thing going for me that many buyers don't.  I know what people want in a home is rarely what they need.  You may want it, but unless you're Ina Garten, you don't need a professional kitchen with stainless appliances, two ovens and granite counters.  You may want an enormous Master bedroom with room for a California King and an en suite bath, but most of us spend realitively little time in the bedroom and bath other than for the reason they're there in the first place.  No matter how large the bed, my body still takes up only a certain amount of space. 

I have shown hundreds of homes and can usually see beyond the dirt and disrepair but I'm no structural engineer, electrician or plumber.  I know what I can do and when a professional needs to be called. 

I've owned five homes in my life.  From a tiny condo to a beautiful contemporary mentioned in Architecture Digest (back in the days of my evil ex-husband who had money but no soul).  I've learned that I'm happiest with 1,000 square feet.
All I need to a grill to prepare just about anything (I've even made homemade chocolates on an open fire...no small feat).  I need counter space because I'm a messy cook...a good cook, but a messy one.  And I need a garden.  Green space with comfortable seating.  A dipping pool to cool off in would be nice too (that's the unrealistic side of me rearing it's ugly head).  There are still possibilities in Merida and I'm hoping to find the one that's right for me.

Which brings us back to my family's idea of what they think I need, and what I know I need.  I know they're coming from a good place.  They want the best for me...and I want what works for me.

4 comments:

  1. That's very generous, linking to my site and saying those nice things! As for your hunt, are you also looking for a location that's walkable? Does safe mean quiet as well? Would a truck lot behind you be a problem? The lack of zoning makes it very easy to eliminate potential properties. I think your blog is going to take on a life of its own once you start this journey, with a budget that I think we all started out thinking would be adequate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walkable yes. Quiet evenings are important...the daily hustle and bustle of Merida during the day is part of it's charm. I know that zoning is an issue and would like to be surrounded by homes if possible. Whenever I show houses to potential buyers I tell them that if they are considering a property they need to visit it at night, on the weekend and to check out the surrounding neighborhood thoroughly. Due dilegence is always a good thing.

    I do hope my blog comes to life one day too! Can't wait to get the ball rolling. Have fun in January!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We resisted a pool for years, but it makes a big difference if you don't have a/c. It doesn't need to be very big just deep enough to totally cool you down. I know of one " dip pool" that the owner used to fill with ice to coll the water since it wasn't really much bigger than a bath tub.
    You're right, what we want and what we need are often two different things.

    As for safe, most neighborhoods here are safe, just remember to lock your doors etc. Don't let strangers in your home blah,blah,blah (you know, normal city stuff).


    regards,
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Theresa,

    Love the idea of ice to cool the pool.

    I keep resisting looking in areas away for the center of the city. Won't have a car for a while and like the idea of being able to walk where I need to go. I need to stay open minded about location though.

    Thanks for the advice. Enjoy your posts! Melissa

    ReplyDelete