A blog about one woman's journey to Merida

Friday, December 7, 2012

Change of Plans

I'm off to Merida in January.  If I wait for family in March, it may not happen...and I'm ready to move forward. 

The contractor I'm hoping to use on any renovations is working on another property now and is available to look at possible homes with me to give me a "proper education".  I can read everything I can find on the internet about what to look for in a home in Merida but, without seeing it for myself, it's of little use.  I'm a visual person and I need to get up on a roof and see what's going on up there for myself.  With his help, I'll have a less rosy view of what I'm seeing in prospective homes.  It's so easy to get swept away by the romance of it all.

With my miniscule budget I need a better idea of costs and feasibility.

What a different experience it is looking for a home in Merida than here.  This search in Merida has me feeling a bit bewildered and somewhat intimidated.  I hope I make as few mistakes as possible.

Of course, I'll spend the last few days in Chuburna Puerto.  Flamingos Inn is the perfect place to end my time in Mexico.  Peace and quiet will make it easier to digest all the information I'll have to sort out.

I can't wait to get back to Merida!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Melissa - after a decade or so of visits I may be close to buying there. May I ask which contractor you are/were using for the assessment of future renovations? Also - the Realtor you used there, and level of satisfaction with both... Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Stan, I used Carol Kirby Williams. She owns White City Properties and she referred me to two gentlemen who renovate. My project is on hold right now but both men gave thorough estimates. Neither speaks English.

      Carol is fantastic. I'm a Realtor in New York so I think I'm a good judge. Her website is whitecityproperties.com.

      Check out imaginemerida.com. Great blog.

      Delete