A blog about one woman's journey to Merida

Sunday, December 16, 2012

What to do...what to do?

I'm flying solo down to Merida in January and am wondering what to do when not house hunting.

Here's a list of what I haven't done yet:

Wandered down Paseo de Montejo
Visited a museums or gallery
Been inside a church
Taken a cooking class
Gone to the English Library
Bought fresh flowers
Shopped in an outdoor market
Cooked a meal for friends
Purchased wine
Danced

And as for what I've done:

Eaten great street food
People watched
Read a book
Met some interesting people
Fallen more in love with Merida

I think this time I'll take a stroll down Paseo de Montejo.
I'll go into a gallery rather than admire the art through the window.
I will say a prayer in church.
I'll find a market and buy whatever looks good.
I'll buy flowers.
I'll find some wine and purchase several bottles.

Luz en Yucatan, has a communal kitchen.  I'm going to make dinner there and share it with whoever might be hungry at the time. 

And at the end of the day, my heart will dance.







8 comments:

  1. Here's what I haven't done yet, and it would be a good thing to master if I lived there: Ride the bus. Also haven't gone to Costo, although I've been to the Walmart, which comes in handy. Also haven't taken the Los Dos cooking class, but not for lack of trying. Haven't seen a cenote yet, and have only been to one historic hacienda. Only been to the coast once, where a fried whole fish at Eladios was wonderful.

    Why not add a house tour (either the library's, or Keith Heitke's) to your list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion of a house tour...will let me see how the other half lives. May also try a class at Los Dos.

      When you have time, let me know when the three of us can meet for drinks. What's the best way to contact you when I'm in Merida?

      I'm arriving late on the 11th and heading to the coast on the 16th. Leaving on the 20th. If you have time, you should come to Chuburna Puerto for a visit.


      Delete
  2. Also check out this list of cool stuff. http://www.merida.gob.mx/cultura/contenido/festival_programa.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, nd watch the Birding Club's blog http://yucatanbirdclub.wordpress.com/
    For birding outings, be sure to bring your binoculars

    ReplyDelete
  4. don't be in such a hurry to buy a house, instead rent - in different areas to get a feel for the neighborhoods, they are each very different. It's all location, location, location; you can make the house the way you want it, but you can't makeover the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debi, Thanks for all the great suggestions. The Birding Club sounds great!

    Agree about location, location. I tell my buyers that all the time...but I'm ready to purchase my nest in Merida now. I've a few friends in Merida who will be helping me fine tune neighborhoods.

    Thanks again for the wonderful suggestions. Have a peaceful and hopeful new year...

    ReplyDelete
  6. For a simple, but delicious treat, try a sorbete at one of two locations - at Plaza Grande or on Paseo de Montejo. My favorite is pineapple and Alan loves the corn and the mango. Enjoy your time in Merida and best of luck with your house hunting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds delicious! Will definitely indulge! Thanks for the well wishes and have a great, new year - M

      Delete