A blog about one woman's journey to Merida

Friday, January 25, 2013

Buying a Home in Merida

It looks as if my minuscule budget of $60,000 was not impossible as many Realtors told me.  I had made it clear to my realtor that I wanted to see as many homes as possible...not just her listings. To her credit, we saw eighteen homes and I was able to narrow it down to two in Santiago.

I'm now in contract to purchase a two bedroom, two bath home with a wonderful backyard. High walls, shade and what seems to be great ventilation.

I now have a list prepared of what needs to be done to make the home rent able until I move.  Making improvements without actually being there won't be easy and figuring costs will be even harder.  I'll need to search the web to see if I can get a better idea of where I go from here.

I'm excited and happy even though it's 6 degrees and my new boiler stopped working twice in two days!

8 comments:

  1. It was 54 degrees when we left two weeks ago. I hope we don't come home to find burst pipes! As it is, we don't have winter coats for the trip from the airport to home. How many t-shirts can I layer on at one time?

    Your house looks great. We walked by and the neighborhood can't be beat! Nice to have friends in the epicenter of the Gulch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Epicenter of the Gulch? Sounds as if I'll be swallowed up by poorly dressed tourists!

    It's going to be in the 50's on Monday...don't worry about the pipes. And besides, you have a new teeshirt to layer.

    I'm glad you like the neighborhood. I think I'll be very happy there. The seller still lives down the street. Lovely guy who's opening a Bed and Breakfast-Restaurant locally with his family.

    Have a safe trip home (took me 16+ hours last week)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! It sounds like you will be very close to where our house is! When do you think you will be there full time? Our timetable says between 1.5 yrs and 2.0 years... still seems such a wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is the same, although I'd like to be there by next Spring. Time will fly...it always does, which is why I bought now while I'm still in my 50's.

      It's nice to know "neighbors" already! I'll post a few photos soon and a bit more about my trip.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations. The adventure is just beginning. Welcome to the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the well wishes! Any advice on where to start with minor repairs and acquisitions would be much appreciated.

      Thoroughly enjoy your blog...particularly flora, fauna and the road less traveled.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations and welcome to the neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! Looking forward to meeting you both.

    ReplyDelete