A blog about one woman's journey to Merida

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

One Good Reason to Move to Merida

This morning I read a post from one of my favorite bloggers about an upcoming event in Merida that got me thinking.

I live forty-five minutes from New York City.  There are more cultural venues there then in most cities in the world.  Good for me?  Well, not really.

I thought about the cost of visiting some of those venues for the day and here are the numbers for two people...

Gas - $16
Tolls - $12
Parking for the Day - $63
Lunch - $30
Dinner - $100
Metropolitan Museum of Art - $50
   or
American Museum of Natural History - $66
  or
New York Botanical Gardens - $50
Theater Tickets - $125 to $300

Based on my math to would cost anywhere from $396 to $587 for a full day of "culture".

With so many free and reasonably priced events happening everyday and everywhere, Merida looks more beautiful all the time!

4 comments:

  1. Tell me about it. I hate taking the train in, but parking has gotten so ridiculous. Sundays are pleasant, but then the galleries are closed. Hardly worth it anymore. Maybe I'm jaded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...New York stopped being a place for the average New Yorker 30 years ago. I read all these wonderful posts from various expats about what's happening in Merida and feel like the girl with no date for the prom...I want to go!!!!

      Delete
  2. You make a good point. It's amazing what one can actually see and do in Mérida for free. And the admission prices for those venues not free, are reasonable. It's admirable that many cultural events can be seen by those who could never afford the cost of a ticket if they so choose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was able to go to the Gran Museo del Mundo Maya and the Anthropology Museum for what a mediocre movie and popcorn would cost. It's nice to know that there will be so much to do in Merida when I finally call it home!

    ReplyDelete