A blog about one woman's journey to Merida

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Nido de Aguilas

It seems almost impossible to believe.  I now own a home in Merida.  not a grand home, mind you...but one that I hope will be perfect for me.

It started out as a dream and as the years went by, that dream faded a bit.  Now after so many years it's become a reality.

When I started looking for homes on the Internet as so many people do, I was afraid that I had waited too long.   Every house seemed out of reach.   I eventually put together a list along with some suggestions from my realtor and hit the pavement last September.   I was shown some that were well beyond my budget and had to make it clear that I had to stay under $55,000. I saw 14 houses during that trip and none seemed to speak to me.

In January I returned and saw over twenty homes...all within budget.  I found a nice property with the courtyard I'd hoped for, high walls, two bedrooms and two baths.  There are things that need to be done and I'm in the process of getting quotes to see where I go next.  There isn't a stash of money hidden anywhere and changes will have to be made in order of priority.  Roof repaired and sealed, facade attended to, plumbing and electric upgraded.

I'm heading back in May and am so happy that my brother and sister-in-law will be joining me.  I can't wait to explore more of Merida with them.

Of course I have my wish list.  A pool, and functional but pretty changes will come in time.

The only thing that is certain is what I will call my new home.  I'm looking forward to the day when i can welcome friends to Nido de Aguilas where a cool drink and a hug will always be waiting.


2 comments:

  1. Pretty name! Is that after your Hudson River lair? We have eagles here on the Mississippi during the winter just above St Louis, but I never remember them when I lived along the Hudson, years ago! (Though I was much further north than you, almost to the Adirondack Mts!} If you are in Merida when we are this December, come over for dinner one night...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually my last name mean "eagle"...

    We have the same situation here as in St. Louis. The eagles only stay until March when the ice melts... with the exception of a few that have made Bear Mtn home. I never get tired of watching them!

    Thank you for the invitation. Don't know if our paths will cross in December but they will eventually and I'm looking forward to meeting you then!

    ReplyDelete