A blog about one woman's journey to Merida

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

A Few Good Men

I have theory.   There are a few things in life you can't do without. A good carpenter, a good plumber and a man with a pickup truck.  With all due respect to electricians, it's not that difficult to find someone who can install an outlet, but if your boiler isn't working when it's 2 degrees outside or your porch is collapsing, eventually you're going to need the assistance of a good man.

Now I do know a few women in the trades but they're few and far between.  I'm not being sexist here, I'm just calling it the way I see it.

I don't know of anyone who hasn't needed the help of a friend with a truck to either lug in or lug out some monstrous piece of furniture from time to time. 

I'm great friends with an old beau and both he and his truck have come to the rescue many times.  He's responsible for repairing my well pump three times.  He took me and the dogs in when I had to evacuate during Hurricane Sandy and had blankets and towels waiting for us.  He's a good man.

We live in a fairly isolated area and on the river. The weather can beat us up sometimes and all of us try to take care of each other as best we can.  We help each other clean up after a storm, we shower at a neighbor's house (the guy with the generator), and haul water from the river to older neighbors so they can flush the toilet until power is restored.  It's usually the "men folk" who are there to lend a helping hand. 

I've had the same plumber for 20 years who sends someone whenever I need help.  It usually late at night when I have no heat or no water and I love him for it.

My tenant is a great outdoors man and has relocated the occasional woodchuck or copperhead when they've become a nuisance.  I'm not good at capture and release.

Then there's the friend who works for the town.  He's an expert welder and was responsible for constructing the supports for my dock.

My tenant's brother is a master carpenter who miraculously showed up one day, along with the above mentioned men and built an amazing deck/dock. It was a place where we all gathered after a hard day at work.  We lost it during Sandy but already I'm finding reclaimed lumber mysteriously appearing in the driveway.  AND, he takes care of my dogs when I travel.  He's a saint.

The local volunteer fire department is so accustomed to pumping out my cellar that they sometimes show up with a spare pump "just in case".  They've stood in the dark pumping out 30,000 gallons an hour and waded through a freezing cellar when it's 15 degrees.  I think I've got a crush on all of them...

My brother has always been the "go to" guy when I have computer related questions.  He's been a great friend and confidant over the years and I trust his opinion.  I know he won't blow smoke up my skirt when I need to hear the truth.

Recently I found out he has something I can really use...a United Mileage Plus account that's going to make it possible to bring extra luggage on my next trip to Merida without having to pay.  This is a beautiful thing.

I can handle black rat snakes, mice, spiders, painting, gardening, mowing, shoveling, hauling, and bees.  I know how to use manual tools and a few motorized ones.  I can whittle, cook, sew and build a fire.  It's all well and good to be an "independent" woman, but it's very nice to know that a good man's got your back when you need it.

4 comments:

  1. My dad's generation was amazing to me... anyone could fix anything. I can barely change a lightbulb. You're lucky when you can find someone handy. But I'm afraid he's not me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandfather built the house they lived in and he wasn't a carpenter. Just couldn't afford a house any other way. Both he and my father let me watch while they worked. A great way to learn.

      I already have been offered the use of a pickup truck by three friends in Merida. I'll be preparing a lot of sopa to thank them all.

      Delete
  2. What a treat it is to discover your terrific blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice thing to say Debbie! It's less expensive than therapy and has introduced me to an entire network of amazing people!

      Delete