A blog about one woman's journey to Merida

Monday, April 8, 2013

Thinking Inside the Box


I received my first quote for the repairs and renovations for mi nido and surprisingly they are not overwhelming.

While I knew a pool would not be in the budget right now, I was a bit disappointed that cedar doors are also not on the horizon. First lesson on living in Merida...have patience.

No matter how much effort was made and many translations offered, the first contractor insisted that a pergola is a fountain.   We'll work that one out later.  But the confusion got me thinking that in the end, it's my responsibility to get my vision across.

I want to remove a 3/4 wall that separates the kitchen and a bathroom.  The bath is larger than I'll ever need. Because the toilet and shower are separated by a door, and the sink is already where I want, I thought I'd incorporate the sink with a dressing area...opening up the entire back of the house.

I had a lot of time on my hands the other day. And scissors. And tape. And a ruler and marker.



I need to find two really tiny dogs to put in my diorama. 


It actually helped to flesh out the room.

I'm bringing my wee diorama with me in May.  It's collapsible so I'll throw it in the suitcase should I need a visual aide when speaking to the other contractors.    

I think my next project will be the courtyard and pergola.






8 comments:

  1. you can see my pergola project here -

    http://debiinmerida.blogspot.mx/2007/12/construction-zone.html
    and here - http://debiinmerida.blogspot.mx/2008/04/pergola-saga-continues.html
    might help with your contractor!

    buena suerte!

    love the diorama, that should really help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your blog has helped me many times and I appreciate the link! I'm bringing my tablet with lots of photos with me.

      Delete
  2. what's on the other side of the wall with fridge? can it be bumped out so the fridge and cabinets are inset?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bedroom and the original exterior wall of the house. The bath/kitchen is newer construction (cinder block).

      The location of fridge isn't etched in stone. I'm open to suggestions...meeting with a few people who can offer options. It's very exciting to be even planning all this!

      Delete
  3. The diorama is excellent! We are absolutely going to try that out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I found great lightweight card stock in the grocery store 14" x 10" with a faint grid on it. I've used it (taped end to end) to do a full layout of the house to remind me where things are. The diorama just ended up as a byproduct of too much time on my hands.

      I'll see if my memory serves when I get there in May. Hopefully my dimensions are close to the real thing.

      Delete
  4. Melissa, I'm impressed with your diorama. I don't do well with one-dimensional plans, but this helps me to see actually how the space looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I agree, it's very difficult to imagine spaces. I'm doing this so that the people who will be working on the changes can have a better idea of what I'm thinking. None of it is etched in stone.

      I just posted Part II...

      Delete