A blog about one woman's journey to Merida

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Lemonade and the Art of Living Simply

Due to circumstances beyond my control,  I've had to put a hold on any changes I planned on making to "mi nido en Merida" for the time being.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing.

It's very easy to get caught up in the excitement of having a new place to decorate and renovate. I've seen it many times with new buyers and I always recommend living in  place for a while before making any changes.  I should listen to my own advice.

I have told myself that I want to simplify my life once I move to Merida.  After all, isn't that one of the reasons expats move to Mexico? To shed all the bad habits we've acquired over the years? We think we need a new kitchen or a pool or the latest electronic. We don't need those things.  We want them.

There was a family living in the house up until a month before I purchased it. It seemed to work well for them. The plumbing works. The electrical works, even though there are leaf cutters who have made a trail through the lines,  and the roof doesn't leak.

The paint is peeling, yes, but if I were to paint now, won't the house need to be repainted before I move next year?  The house will be closed up for a while and humidity will have it's way no matter how much I'd like it not to.

The courtyard can be tended to.  That's not an outrageous expense. Trees need to be looked after and goodness know I'll need shade.

I really don't need much and the more I think about, the idea of a hammock,  a small fridge and some fans sounds like a good way to start my new journey.

The prospect of being involved in the changes and repairs to the house is rather comforting.  Sometimes we value things more when we're part of the process.

I think I'll make lemonade out of the bushel of lemons I have on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment