A blog about one woman's journey to Merida

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Santa Clara's Recipes

My mother Claire,  passed away a year ago. She was born on November 1st...All Saints Day. We called her Saint Claire.

I've been surprised that I haven't felt connected to her the way I thought I would after she passed. After all, we were the best of friends. Actually, the connection was other worldly at times. We would have similar dreams on the same night and immediately call one another the morning after to share our thoughts. So many shared experiences...

Well, she sent me a little nudge today from beyond. I found a tiny photo album and on the cover it says "Appetizers,  Snacks,  Hors d". Inside were all the recipes we enjoyed at her table.

So, in honor of Saint Claire, I'm going to share some of her recipes this month.

JEZEBEL
8 ounces of cream cheese
12 ounces of pineapple preserves
12 ounces of apple jelly
5 ounces of horseradish
1/2 small can of Coleman's mustard
Ground pepper.

Mix all the ingredients except the cream cream together.  Pour over the block of cream cheese and serve with crackers.

Feel free to substitute the ingredients if you can't find them. She would have done the same. Just make sure you've got the sweet and hot vibe going.  The cream cheese balances it all.


A little sweet, a little spicy... just like Claire.



6 comments:

  1. Yum, sounds great....this will be a hit with all your Mexican neighbors, cream cheese is a big appetizer here.

    I would love to try it. I have mustard seed that I can grind to make mustard powder but no clue as to how much 1/2 a small can of Coleman's would be. Is it grated horseradish? I have seen horseradish sauce but not just horseradish.

    regards,
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    A half can of Colemans is probably 2 tablespoons...I'd start with one and see how you like it. As for the horseradish, the kind you make cocktail sauce with that comes in a jar. Let me know how you like it.

    Many of her recipes for appetizers involve either mayo or cream cheese. Must be a 60's thing!

    Is liverwhurst available in Merida? If so, she had a killer recipe for that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa,
    I'm pretty sure liverwurst is available here.I can't remember the last time I bought any. We used to make sandwiches of liverwurst,mayo and pickle relish. I think that appetizers here are very 1960s, at least where I've been. I am not part of the beautiful people crowd,so I don't know what they eat.

    regards,
    Theresa


    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning Theresa,
    I'll post the liverwhurst recipe soon...VERY 60's! The recipe for fruit dip I posted last night was one of my favorites.

    I'm not part of the beautiful crowd either. I tend to gravitate toward "day lilies" rather than "orchids". Less maintenance and more resilient. Enjoy the day! M

    ReplyDelete
  5. My neighbor is a cookbook author who's fond of recipes from the 80s. I keep telling her to do an "I Love the 80s" kinda cookbook. Maybe the 60s would be just as good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea as long as the caloric and fat content doesn't have to be included. I'll get started on that right away!

      Delete