A blog about one woman's journey to Merida

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Real Estate Agents in Merida ... Good vs Evil

Realtors have a bad reputation. I know that all too well.

That said, I consider myself an ethical person,  I think I do my job very well and plan on working as a Realtor when I move to Merida.

Unfortunately, I've heard about some less than stellar agents working there and wondered how there can be such a disproportionate amount of bad seeds in one industry. Maybe is just a case of people griping more often than complimenting.

When I started my search for a home,  I read everything I could find about the various agencies and agents working in the area and made my decision based on correspondence I received and the timeliness of the agents' responses.  I realize that things happen in Mexico at their own pace and so I appreciate it all the more when someone gets back to me in a timely manner.

I was looking for an agent who would make suggestions rather than expecting me to simply supply them with a list of homes I found on the Internet.  After all, they know the market much better than I. In the long run it paid off. My broker worked hard to find the right house for me. There were a few kinks in the beginning (like showing me homes that were twice my budget) but we were able to work things out in the end.

I've learned a lot from my mistakes and try to learn from other people's too... so here's your chance.  I'd appreciate you sharing your good and bad moments while house hunting in Merida.  It will help me do my job better.

It's open season..have fun with this, but no names please.










There

4 comments:

  1. There was one who told us twice that he was going to buy a certain property for himself, but he liked us, so he was giving us the first chance to buy it. Another was just about to be under contract, but if we acted now... well, both are still online and available for sale, two years later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems as if some Realtors underestimate the intelligence of their buyers. Instilling a sense of urgency in a seller's market can make sense, but pushing someone who is unsure, rarely works.

    The average buyer can tell when someone is blowing smoke up their skirt. As in most relationships, once you've lost someone's trust, you're probably never going to get it back.

    Realtors rely on referrals...why would you want to alienate someine who you depend on is beyond me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what strikes me about the real estate agents (they're technically not Realtors) is that in the three years since I've been pursuing Merida, the handful of top agents remain the same. None have dropped out and moved on, and there's no other big mover and shaker. Restaurants and shops have come and gone, but the real estate scene has remained the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Technically a real estate agent is a Realtor if they belong to the NAR. However most are not Brokers.

    I don't know enough to comment on your thoughts but I'll give it a try. Inexperienced agents usually fade away before their presence is known. The top agencies in Merida probably get most of their leads from Internet exposure. They are good at getting the job done.

    When I was inquiring about agencies I might work for in Merida, one Broker was very forthcoming and said they would have to consult the other agents in the office to see if they would be willing to "share the wealth". I have to say, I appreciated the honesty.

    ReplyDelete