A blog about one woman's journey to Merida

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Training for Merida

When you're looking for a home in Merida during the winter months, it's easy to get a bit concerned about whether or not you will be able to deal with the heat when you finally make Merida home. The horror stories about the heat sound pretty intimidating.

I've read blogs written by expats offering advice on dealing with the heat (dress comfortably and wear clothing that will wick the sweat from your body)...make sure your prospective home has good air flow (if you don't have a budget to open up interior and exterior spaces this is VERY important)...consider the direction your new home faces are you an inside or outside person).  All great things to keep in mind.

After all is considered,  the reality still remains that you're going to have to face the inferno eventually.

When I was in Merida in early May there were a few days where the temperature reached 100○ and I thought I'd melt while working around the house with only one floor fan. We were still having some unseasonably cold nights in New York...40º nights... and I wasn't prepared physically or mentally for the heat in Merida.

They say you should never go grocery shopping when you're hungry . I've decided to have seven fans installed in a 1,100 square foot home. Can't hurt.

Well it's July now, and a few weeks ago it was hovering around 90º or more. I have no air conditioning in my house or in my car and the AC at work was not working well.  The ceiling fan at home died last summer and I haven't had a chance to go out and buy an AC unit or fan. Amazingly,  it's not that bad. My good ol' house is staying cool enough, the dogs aren't panting like mad and I'm starting to think that the Merida heat isn't so scary after all.

August might have me singing a different tune but for now I feel like I'm in training and might just be ready to face the monster when I finally make the move.

Now mosquitoes. ..that's a different story.

2 comments:

  1. Ah yes, mosquitos. The Facebook groups for both Merida and my home neighborhood are both swarming with complaints about the little buggers.

    ReplyDelete

  2. We're trading Lyme for Dengue. Oh well...must take the bad with the good.

    ReplyDelete